Cooking Rice in the Instant Pot, the 1:1 water to rice ratio method:
The foundation for this 1:1 recommendation is due to two things being true:
1. The Instant Pot allows very little water evaporation due to Instant Pot’s superior sealing ability.
2. Rice absorbs its volume in water when cooked long enough.
1. Measure dry rice, set aside. (about 1 “cup” minimum recommended, any “cup” you choose)
2. Measure same amount of water, add to Instant Pot’s inner pot/liner.
3. Rinse rice, add wet rice to the measured water in the inner pot.
4. Lock on the lid, and set the steam release valve to “sealing” position.
5. Select your pressure cooking time.
* The “Rice” button is timed for white or parboiled rice only.
* For other types of rice, set “Manual” to correct time (by pressing “-” to adjust the cooking time) for the type of rice you are cooking, in the case of brown rice, for example select 22-25 minutes depending on your preferences and any local issues, like high elevation.
|Type of Rice||Pressure cooking times
|White rice||3 - 8|
|Basmati (white) rice||4 - 8|
|Brown Rice (long/short):||22 - 28|
|Wild rice mix||25 - 30|
6. Let the rice rest for about 10 minutes after cooking is finished before releasing any remaining pressure, and serve.